September 27, 2016 Leave a comment
Last week at the school I am working in, they were having a fundraiser to raise money to help support Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. Every group would be responsible for one of the three days to help raise funds. Tuesday was popcorn day, Wednesday was ice cream and Popsicle day and Thursday we had baked goods. The students also participated in the fundraiser by helping to sell the goods and my grade 3, 4 and 5s’ also helped to make the baked goods.
I am not very good at baking, correction not good at baking with kids (too messy for my liking, actually the clean up part). Therefore I volunteered to help create awareness by creating posters with the students. I did not want to create the traditional posters the students and teachers make with large paper and tempera paints. I learned a new way and I wanted to share it with the students. So we created Graffiti Art posters.
We needed to create four posters, one for each day and a central one with Sick Kids on it. This was perfect because I had four groups. Below you can see the images of the different stages of the process and the best part was that I had the students do all the work.
Stage 1 – The students’ chose which poster they wanted to create and they got busy creating the letters for the sign. I gave them card stoke paper and told them that they can create the letters in any way they wanted. They didn’t have to be the same and they could cut out the letter and have them either a negative or positive cut out (the letter itself or a page with the letter cut out in the centre).
They then would tape the letter onto a large piece of butcher paper. I told them that they would be spray painting the letter with black paint and whatever is taped down would be the colour of the paper and exposed sheet would have the paint.
Stage 2 – once the letters were taped down, we took the large sheet outside and spray painted the letters and sheet. I let the students spray paint their own letter after a bit of instruction on how to do it. You need to spray paint outside because of the smell, and I used flat Black paint so it would not look too shiny and it would be easier for the next stage.